As always, greetings to everyone who reads our blog. The first winter update from Softinventive Lab has arrived. This time, the TNI team brings us another oft-requested feature that will make work easier for many of our users. TNI 3 can now not only create reports and export them in a convenient format, but do it automatically according to the schedule you’ve set. A lot of time can be saved if you have both the automatic network scanner and the report builder up and running.
Here’s the complete list of changes:
- BIG FEATUREAbility to schedule table report generation and export.
- ImprovedAD sync: Support for escaped symbols in LDAP requests.
- ImprovedAD sync: Sync can be started or stopped from the storage root folder dropdown menu.
- ImprovedAD sync: Progress bars for the sync process.
- ImprovedAD sync: Overwriting of users data during sync is optional and disabled by default.
- + Some other fixes and improvements.
And now onto the main course.
Table reports can now be scheduled and built automatically. Simply copy any standard template or create a new custom template, and you’ll see that a new button has appeared when you hover the mouse over the template:
Click the button, and the already familiar Scheduler window will appear. Its functionality was somewhat expanded:
You can schedule reports from here along with the scan tasks. Once the report is built, it can be automatically exported in a common format (TXT, XLSX, CSV or HTML) and then either saved to a folder or sent over email or FTP. The level of comfort is off the charts: the network gets scanned, a report containing the fresh data is sent to your email, and you don’t even have to be around to supervise the process!
We have to point out that, by default, the scheduled report will be built for the whole network tree. To have one built on specific devices or groups, just activate the “Multiple selection” mode and tick the necessary boxes in the network tree before leaving TNI running.
That’s it for this blog post. We’re sure that you’ll make good use of the new feature. Leave a comment or drop us an email, we will be happy to answer your questions.
Glad to welcome you again. It seems that summer has come to an end, but, despite the holiday season, our developer team has continued to delight you with compelling program updates! The key point of today’s update is the ability to customize partial synchronization of Active Directory with your TNI storage. This means that we have managed to achieve the objective set before us by Total Network Inventory users – one that turned out to be really interesting – and in the process many other elements were improved:
- BIG FEATURECustomizable synchronization with AD
- NewSynchronization of specific groups in the storage with specific OUs in Active Directory.
- NewAbility to specify a domain controller for AD synchronization.
- NewAD group membership is displayed for each AD account in Edit – Users.
- NewParent OU is retrieved for each asset and can be displayed in reports (requires AD sync).
- NewIcon of each group becomes animated when it’s being synced.
- New“Don’t move”, a new asset property that allows to keep assets in groups that don’t correspond to their OUs.
- NewOptions to skip empty OUs and disabled PCs during AD synchronization.
- ImprovedLogical disks on Windows PCs are now grouped by type in the Storage details category (tab Viewer & reports).
- ImprovedDialogs asking how to treat assets and users that were not found in AD during synchronization.
- ImprovedProcessing of long computer names from AD.
- FixedRetrieval of MS Office license keys in cases when both trial and permanent licenses are present.
- + Some other fixes and improvements.
From here on, in more details about the key feature.
The process of synchronization with Active Directory becomes truly configurable. Here you can see the new settings that will now be available for each group in your storage:
This gives you complete freedom of action! Synchronize the entire storage or only specific groups with specific OUs in the domain, or even synchronize only one group with the whole domain. In addition, it’s possible to skip synchronization of empty OUs and disabled PCs, and if you’re afraid that any of your PCs will be moved during AD sync, you can keep them from doing so. Now everything is possible in AD sync! And also, you don’t have to wonder whether the synchronization process has ended anymore. The icon of each synchronizing group will become animated for the duration . Isn’t this all you ever wanted?
Keep your requests coming, and we’ll be happy to bring them into existence. Do not miss our next post!
Hello again from the Total Network Inventory team! This time, we’d like to put another brick into building a firm relationship of trust with TNI users. So we’ve decided to conduct an experiment and let out clients themselves make a choice as to which features should be added first.
It’s simple: vote for whichever appeals to you the most, and we’ll do our best to implement your favorites as soon as possible.
We’ve shortlisted only the most requested features and created a poll. Please note that only one option can be selected.
If you think that an important feature is missing from the list, be sure to suggest it by writing a comment. Popular requests from the comment section will be added to the poll.
We hope you’ll find such an interactive format to your liking. Thank you for your attention and for your choice!