When you rescan an asset that has already been scanned in the past, you probably want to get the most up-to-date information. And you also want to see what exactly has changed.
The latter used to be a rather tricky thing to do. But look!
- BIG FEATUREChange log.
How it works
A quick reminder: every time you scan an asset, TNI creates a new snapshot of it and puts it in your storage. In the View details tab you switch between snapshots using a date/time box next to the asset name:
In Options / Scanner you can tweak the way TNI treats snapshots. By default it stores up to 10 of them per asset and removes those more than 90 days old (except for the oldest one). Thus you probably have about 10 time points of data per asset, the oldest one being from the very first scan.
That’s a long story to tell, so it’s about time TNI became a storyteller.
The story of your network
There is a new tab in the main TNI area: the Change log tab. It works out of the box, so go ahead and click it. Select any asset with at least two snapshots and see what has been going on. History!
It’s pretty much straightforward.
The timeline is divided into Intervals. Each interval has a starting and an ending date and time—from corresponding snapshots. It also shows you at a glance how many changes were there.
Intervals contain Events grouped by object types.
Events represent things Added, Removed or Changed during that time.
You can see software being installed, uninstalled or updated…
…hotfixes being applied…
…services changing their state…
…hardware being moved around…
…and a lot more: look for changes in logon counters of user accounts to know who had used the computer, see disk space usage dynamics, devices changing error codes, items appearing in Windows autorun, etc. It’s all there for you now.
And to make browsing changes as easy and fast as it can be, we’ve implemented our trademark instant search, of course. And filters, too. If you don’t need some of all that data, just hide it using the sidebar. If you want to check for something in particular, just press Ctrl + F and type it in.
You can select multiple devices in the network tree, too. Select the root and see the History of All Your Network as a single report, and then, say, search for a software title to see each and every time it came up. Our data browsing is as always quick and powerful, so use this to your advantage.
Surely, the change log is also available in the form of printable report:
And that is the new Change log feature. It has proven so useful for us that we started using it in our own network as soon as we’ve built the first working prototype. We really think you are going to love it!
If you have any ideas as to how the change log could be improved, tell us! There’s an ocean of new possibilities here.
Can’t wait to hear from you. Till next time!
We remind you that as of version 3.0 (released March 3, 2014), optional one-year subscription for updates is introduced to TNI. By purchasing a license you get one year of free updates, and each subsequent year costs 20% the price of your license.
All users of TNI and TNI 2 got a free upgrade to TNI 3.0!
All users who have purchased their licenses between March 3, 2013 and March 3, 2014 are entitled to free updates till March 3, 2015.
Warning! All users who have purchased their licenses before March 3, 2013 may upgrade to TNI 3.1 for 20% of the cost of their licenses, thus extending the update period by another year. License keys purchased before March 3, 2013 will not work with TNI of version 3.1 and higher.
Hello! Today there’s a little update with stability fixes and improvements.
- NewDetection of database servers (see “Databases” section): MS SQL Server (including edition), MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle Database, Firebird.
- NewPossibility to convert non-scanned assets to custom assets.
- NewDetection of Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 in the storage assistants and group summary.
- ImprovedConvenient license upgrade and renewal (in-program license selection and direct forwarding to the order process).
- ImprovedLinux agent: SMART information, RAID array disks information, CPU clock speed detection.
- ImprovedMac agent stability.
- FixedDashes instead of computer names in Software accounting.
- FixedSelf-interruption of the scan process in large networks with slow-scanning computers.
- FixedDetection of OS X systems as Windows 8 in the storage assistants and group summary.
- FixedSoftware report templates are now saved in the correct folder.
- FixedVirtualization type of a non-scanned virtual machine now changes correctly after successful scan.
- FixedViolations in field editors.
- FixedDuplication in license reports.
See you again soon!
We’re delighted to announce that Total Network Inventory 3 is available today.
TNI 3 is a major update we’ve been working on for quite some time. It’s packed with great stuff.
- BIG FEATURESoftware Asset Management module.
- BIG FEATURENew hardware scanning technology: collected data is now far more detailed and more accurate.
- + lots of less noticeable improvements and bugfixes
Software Asset Manager (SAM)
You may have heard a word or two from us about this one.
We’ve brought the Software accounting feature in TNI to the whole new level. You won’t find anything like this in other products, and we’re extremely proud of it.
Discovering software in your network is now easier than ever. Browsing computers that have an application installed is simple and straightforward. Finding programs, managing them, assigning tags and stars, filtering by various criteria, building reports, etc. — everything is intuitive, fast and accurate.
And if your license includes the advanced SAM features, you get one of the most flexible License managers out there for storing crucial data on each of the licenses you own, their license keys and models.
And sure enough, automatic calculation of your licensing status per software, per license or per individual installation.
Better scanning technology
A new driver is introduced as the TNI means of collecting inventory data. With it, information in the hardware categories will get incredibly detailed and accurate:
- NewMore information on motherboard (chipset, USB version, RAID possibilities);
- NewCompletely revised information on CPU (socket, codename, TDP, instruction sets, correct detection of multicore CPUs and multithreaded cores);
- NewComplete information on memory modules (manufacturer, type, speed, part number);
- NewNew section in Peripheral devices – USB devices (manufacturer, serial number, USB version supported and current speed, driver manufacturer, version and date).
- ImprovedMore information on video-adapters (chipset, video memory, video card name, frequencies);
- ImprovedMore accurate detection of multiple monitors;
- ImprovedMore informaiton on audio devices (adapter name, HD codec, driver version and date);
- ImprovedMore information on storage devices (HDD: interface type, device type – HDD or SSD, serial number, firmware revision, rotation rate, form-factor, buffer size, NCQ/TRIM/SMART support, SMART data; CD/DVD-drives: serial number, type, revision, firmware date, read and write support).
Our new licensing and pricing policy
Please take a minute to familiarize yourself with our new policy.
- TNI 3 Standard license gets cheaper. It includes all scanning and reporting features from TNI 2. It also includes part of the features of the new Software Asset Management unit. Namely: software browser and manager, installations viewer, software merging, software tracking and corresponding reports. It does not include license managing features.
- To get advanced Software Asset Management features (license manager, license status calculation and detailed licensing reports), you need second tier license. We call it TNI 3 Professional. It costs additional 50% of the original price (depending on the number of nodes).
- When you purchase your license you get 1 year of free updates. In a year you can renew your license to keep receiving updates. It will cost 20% of the price of your original license. Extending your update period is optional and is not subscription-based. Just a hint: As you can find by scrolling through our blog, a year of updates adds a lot of value to the product.
- Support remains free and perpetual (not connected to the limited update period).
And now a few points regarding our current customers.
- We are grateful to all TNI 3 beta testers who provided feedback. This feedback was invaluable to us. Therefore you get TNI 3 Professional license for free. Drop us a letter to claim your license.
- All our customers who own TNI 2 get TNI 3 Standard license for free (your TNI 2 license will continue working with TNI 3).
- Customers who purchased TNI 2 before March 3, 2013 will get free updates until 3.0.1. All further updates (3.1 and higher) will require a renewal of the license.
- Customers who purchased TNI 2 between March 3, 2013 and March 3, 2014 will get free updates until March 3, 2015.
- All our customers who own TNI 2 get 50% discount for TNI 3 Professional license (this offer is valid until the release of TNI 3.1).
That about covers it. If you have any questions feel free to ask on our support page.
Download TNI 3 and enjoy all the great new features it has to offer. During the trial period you will be able to evaluate all features of the full TNI 3 Professional package.
Don’t forget to use the Feedback button. Your feedback made this update possible, so keep it coming and let’s see what’s next!