Update: TNI 2.0.3 (1115). Also, a new TNI 2 demo!
Some long awaited features are delivered by TNI 2.0.3 (1115).
- NewPossibility to distinguish computers by name and domain instead of MAC address and serial number.
- NewGroup membership field for user accounts.
- NewMicrosoft Office name and key fields in table reports.
- NewComputer models summary in group summary view.
- NewSerial number in Windows PC general information view.
- NewGreat Britain locale.
- ImprovedRevamped the “User accounts” standard table report.
- ImprovedRegular expressions in software accounting are now case-insensitive by default.
- ImprovedBoosted the time of Linux scanning.
- FixedCopying and exporting the software copies and licenses with active filters.
- FixedScanner sometimes freezed under Windows XP.
- FixedNetwork adapters and printers processing.
- FixedProcessing of user accounts under Windows 2000.
Distinguish assets by name
There is now an option to distinguish assets by their network name and domain rather than by hardware (which is the default behavior of TNI 2). We’d like to point out and explain this particular feature, as it’s quite important and should be used properly.
Whenever a new snapshot appears in TNI 2 storage (either as a result of scanning or when an asset file is placed manually into the storage folder), the program first tries to merge duplicates so that a single asset is represented by a single data file. But in order to do that TNI has to know when two assets should be considered identical.
The most common way to tell is to compare MAC-addresses, UUIDs and serial numbers of two shapshots. If these parameters match, it’s safe to say that we’re looking at two snapshots of the same hardware unit and merge them.
In some networks hardware is considered a secondary matter, and computers are distinguished by their domain names. This means that one may change a computer’s motherboard, CPU and chassis and re-install OS, but leave domain name unchanged, and the whole workstation will be considered the same.
If that is the case with your network, you should go to Options / Scanner and change the setting to Distinguish assets by name and domain. Otherwise it would be smart to leave everything as is.
If you visit TNI product page of our site, you’ll find something new and shiny there. That’s TNI 2 demo video! Check it out:
That’s it for now. Don’t forget, the “coming soon” features are coming soon, so be sure to check for updates now and then. Cheers!