29 Jul, 2016
TNI 3.3.1: Resident agent
We’re elated to announce a long overdue update for Total Network Inventory! Just imagine, the standalone agent is now equipped with the ability to transfer scan results to you by a method of your choosing. We’ve called it Resident agent. Say goodbye to all the trouble that comes with scanning computers that don’t belong to your network or rarely, if ever, appear online! Once you configure the resident agent, you can receive scan results by email, FTP, or from a network share, and after adding a scan schedule, all that’s left is to settle in your comfortable chair with some tea and cookies and watch the magic happen… But let’s get back to our update – here’s the list of changes:Previously, the only way to schedule a scan by an agent was to use separate tools; and scan results could only be saved in the folder specified in the command line. These limitations are in the past. Resident agent is installed as a service that can perform a scheduled scan and immediately send you the result. The setup process will only take a few minutes: a section of Options dedicated to it is readily accessible from the Scanner tab. If a remote computer is accessible over the network, then the agent can be installed or removed there by pressing one of the two buttons that appear in the Scanner when the computer is added to the list of scan tasks. These buttons are hidden by default and can be enabled from Options (via the “Show resident agent deployment controls in the Scanner” setting). In any other case, you can configure the agent, and then export it to move to a remote computer. Manual installation and removal of the service is done using the following respective commands: “tniwinagent.exe /install” and “tniwinagent.exe /uninstall”. But we did not forget about the ability to automatically update the agent file and its settings. The agent can update itself from a web server or from a network share, as well as using the scanner in Total Network Inventory. That’s all the news for today. Stay tuned for more updates. Leave your comments and suggestions in the comments, or send them by email.
- BIG FEATUREResident agent.
- NewSAM: Ability to edit saved searches and to quickly save instant search queries.
- NewProxy server settings in General options.
- ImprovedScanning via SNMP (improved support for devices with SNMP v3 and v1/v3, particularly for Synology NAS and Cisco routers).
- ImprovedNetwork tree toolbar updated (Search, Add assistant).
- ImprovedSAM: software tracking (dragging and dropping computers to make them exceptions, list sorting).
- ImprovedSAM: software list sorting when creating a license.
- ImprovedSAM: hint explaining the reason why Software accounting is blocked.
- ImprovedSAM: search in multi-line publisher and software names.
- ImprovedProxy server password is now encrypted.
- ImprovedSearch field algorithms.
- FixedCollecting information about configured VMware Workstations.
- FixedAdding MIB-files.
- FixedProblems with cyrillic storage folder names.
- FixedExport to XLSX.
- + Many other fixes and improvements.