#1 Nico_xy

Nico_xy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:21 AM

Hi everybody!
I'm using "Total Network Monitor 1.1.3" on my Windows XP PC. Great product! :D

I have to monitor some Network devices (lets call one of them "Client A") in the same Network and I'm using the ICMP-Ping for this.
TNM sends a ping every 2 Minutes.
The problem is, sometimes the "Client A" is busy for 30sec and can not reply the ping in that time - but this is not a fault.
So the TNM probe gets red and gives me a alarm message. How can I set a timeout for that?
I thought, I can use the "timeout"-slider to send the ping again after the adjusted time - but I was wrong.
I tried to set the "retry count" to a higher number (10 or so) and TNM will ping again, but this doesn't work either.

Do you have any ideas how to solve the problem?

Thank you in advance!
Nico.

#2 Zak

Zak

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:04 AM

Neither timeout, nor retry count should be used for this purpose.
Timeout should be 1 or several seconds, and retry count should be 1-2 (no sense for more right now).
For this purpose you should use the option in the action (alarm): "N times in a row". For example, if you set N to 5, and the ping is sent each 2 minutes, then you will receive the alarm message only after 10 minutes. And if the host is down for 5 minutes (example), and then up again, you will not receive false messages.
Softinventive Lab support

#3 Nico_xy

Nico_xy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:48 AM

I see!
Thank you very much!

#4 garyfarm

garyfarm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

I have somewhat the same problem and I try the solution above.  I have the Red and Green both on the same sensor.  The problem is even though I don't get the Red email / text, I still get the Green one.  I get it when the sensor comes back from being 50 % down.    The settings are N is set to 3 and 1 minute apart.  The timeout is set to 1 minutes.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

#5 Zak

Zak

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:32 AM

I thinks that timeout of 1 minute is too much for ping. Usually 1 second is enough, but you can set 5 or 10 seconds. The behaviour when the intervals are overlapping may be unexpected.

Also what is you retry count? Better set to 2 (default). "3 times in a row" with 1 minute interval is fine, but timeout should not be such long, as I've mentioned. You should get the red email when the device is offline for 3 minutes in such case.

#6 turbo

turbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Здравствуйте. У меня похожий вопрос. Есть ICMP монитор  с интервалом 1 мин и таймаутом 1 сек., есть действие, которое при получении 3 красных результатов пишет лог. проблема в том, что при получении, например 30 последовательных красных результатов в лог запишется 10 сообщений. Как можно сделать так, чтоб запись была только одна до смены результата на зеленый?

#7 Zak

Zak

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:27 AM

Hi turbo,

Disable the option "repeatedly" and that's all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users