• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alane3

alane3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:11 AM

We have TNM configure to alert after it goes down twice. 

However, it seems that TNM send out an alert (server UP message) if the monitor fails once and is successful the second time.

Anyway to configure TNM to only send a server UP alert if the TNM monitor fails twice?

#2 Armo

Armo

Support

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:19 AM

Hello.

No way to do that in TNM, I'm afraid. You have other options however.

1. You can create a second alert for the green state, and configure it so that the UP message is sent immediately and not on the 2nd check.

2. You can remove the UP/green alert altogether and only have messages sent when the sensor is still down (by checking "repeatedly" in the action's settings).

We're working on a web-based monitoring system, it should be easier to create the alert logic you want. The beta is supposed to come out in summer.

#3 Steve_the_it_guy

Steve_the_it_guy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:07 PM

Is this still true Armo?  This was the problem with the old version but I don't understand why this hasn't been addressed yet (it's the very definition of what monitoring network nodes is, and is how practically all other tools work).

This is literally as easy to do as when an email is sent, the program should either amend to a file or registry entry with a monitor identifier (a simple way to tell which alert fired the email) and a value (1-red 2-green 3-black).  When the program thinks it should sent another email, check to see what the last state was by reading that file/registry entry and see if the actual condition is changing or not.  If for some reason you like the way it works now (which spams folks false up/downs all night long) you could always put a checkbox on each monitor called "enforce state change only alerts" which would turn this feature off/on for that specific monitor.

This is actually why we didn't buy this product when it went to pay version, because without this easily added feature, it's too unreliable for us to use as our primary alert utility.  I've been using the free version with a really long interval for RED only alerting, just incase our primary monitoring tool fails.

Seriously though, I've been programming for nearly 35 years and this would be one of the easiest features for your developers to add.  Without it though, just not enterprise ready.  Which is a shame, Solarwinds and most of the big boys out there are simply insane on pricing for this sort of thing.  I just re-installed version 2 just to see what you guys have added since last year and was immediately disappointed that this problem hasn't been addressed.

On a positive note, I really think you guys got nearly everything else right on this program.  The new GUI looks great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users