Photo

Running as a service doesn't work - no checks ...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tschroeder1973

tschroeder1973

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:08 AM

Hello,

I am testing this software for 14 days.

It runs as a service ... ok, it really does.

But no checks are made in this mode. The log file says the same as me.

The app must run as an application task to make it execute the monitoring checks/jobs.

In my eyes this makes no sense, you have to login into windows after boot of the monitoring machine.

If you forget that, then the monitoring software doesn't work. Not fine.

Thomas

#2 Armo

Armo

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:16 AM

Hello.

Sinсe it's only a workaround, make sure you've read our documentation on running as a service.

If possible, email us a screenshot of your TNM General options window at support@softinventive.com.

#3 tschroeder1973

tschroeder1973

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:50 AM

Hello.

Sinсe it's only a workaround, make sure you've read our documentation on running as a service.

If possible, email us a screenshot of your TNM General options window at support@softinventive.com.

Hello,

logging works now, so the monitoring checks are done. But no email is sent.

Regards

Thomas

#4 Armo

Armo

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:18 AM

Hello,

logging works now, so the monitoring checks are done. But no email is sent.

Regards

Thomas

Emailing should work. Does the same action work when you run the progam normally? What SMTP server/port settings are being used?

#5 tschroeder1973

tschroeder1973

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:37 PM

Emailing should work. Does the same action work when you run the progam normally? What SMTP server/port settings are being used?

Hello,

I checked it again. The app makes the monitoring checks after reboot and before any login. Before reboot I set a service's start behaviour to "Deactivated". And: It works. The app checks it during the non-loggedin-period and writes the result in its log file correctly. But no email is sent.

My email options: It is an smtp server in our government wan, port is 25. And I saved my username and password in the global settings of your app.

When I'm logged in it works fine.

Any idea?

What I am going to try ... if you help me: Do you know any free-email-provider in America which offers smtp email sending via port 25 (non-encrypted, no ssl, no tls)? I think in Germany there is only one left which does. I will try them. Maybe you know another one in US ... ?

But i think that could not be the reason why the app doesn't send the email before windows login ...

Could it be that the app analyses the service's start behaviour?  Maybe the app says: It doesn't run, but it is okay, because it is deactivated ...

Thanks

Tommy

#6 tschroeder1973

tschroeder1973

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:48 AM

Hello,

starting behaviour/setting of the service is not relevant. When the app GUI is opened on my windows desktop email sending works in all cases.

I wanted to test with a german email provider which is the last and only in Germany to send an smtp mail via port 25 (uncrypted). But it is too dangerous, you have to register and will get lots of add to your postal adress and so on.

Regards

Tommy

#7 Armo

Armo

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:59 AM

Hello,

As we've read in your other thread, no actions work when your copy of TNM is run as a service. We've not encountered such problems with actions in service mode during testing.

Perhaps there is a problem on your particular computer. Have you tried running TNM as a service on a different machine?

Please send any replies concerning this problem to us at support@softinventive.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users