• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mauricev

mauricev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:28 PM

I set up a NAS device with a test for file existence. It's not clear what syntax it wants. I tried

\\server-name\path\to\file

But that and every other permutation I tried results in 

The network name cannot be found.

#2 Armo

Armo

Support

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 01:13 AM

Apologies for the late reply.

Could you clarify that you're adding the path to the "File name" field?

As explained in our manual, you have to use the NetBIOS format for file checks on remote devices.

#3 mauricev

mauricev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:29 AM

I'm attaching a screenshot showing how I entered network name/path. Upon clicking "Press to check", the program hangs momentarily while it presumably checks and reports "The network name cannot be found".

It's not clear whether it wants the full URI to the resource, which should not be the case as the device already knows that or just the path to the file in which case, I don't know how it wants it formatted. NetBios name is a nebulous term, IMHO.

I also think the "authorization", which might be better termed "user credentials", belongs to the device not to the sensor. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Voila_Capture 2015-11-03_17:12:00.png

#4 Armo

Armo

Support

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:05 AM

Apologies for the inconvenience. The detailed information is not in the manual yet.

Make sure you've created the device with the correct hostname (*.edu) and that you're able to ping it. The directory must be shared.

The file name field should only contain the path without the hostname: software/test

#5 mauricev

mauricev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:52 AM

That made no difference. I still get the complaint about the "Network Name cannot be found" I also see at the top, The directory name is invalid. 

In the URI you gave above, you are using a forward slash, but the manual calls for a Windows path designation, i.e., \.

Attached Thumbnails

• the directory name is not valid.png

#6 Armo

Armo

Support

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:43 AM

Does it not work when you use either slash?

#7 mauricev

mauricev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:39 PM

It does not work with either forward or backward slashes.

#8 mauricev

mauricev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:30 AM

Have you been able to reproduce the issue?

#9 Armo

Armo

Support

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:24 AM

Sorry, we haven't been able to figure out what could be causing the issue.

#10 mauricev

mauricev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:50 AM

Can you not reproduce it? If not, then can you please ask them to add debug logging to the program? For example, it should log the URI it passes to Windows as well as what credentials it is supplying and then which command in Windows is returning the error and the actual error it returns, not an interpretation.

#11 Armo

Armo

Support

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:06 AM

We haven't managed to reproduce the error.
Could you send us your project's .xml file for analysis here: support@softinventive.com, so we can check if there are any mistakes in your sensor settings?

#12 mauricev

mauricev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:33 PM

Now this is interesting. It is suddenly accepting my configuration and is working as far as the "file existence" check is concerned. However, the basic error when pressing the button to check still results in the error of this thread, " The network name cannot be found." I've sent in the configuration.

Since it does work in the end, it implies the error message is coming from the program and not from the server.

Also, the path it wants is the full path minus the leading slash and any slashes in the path need to be backslashes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users