TSD 2.0.0: Remote software uninstallation
Hello, dear readers of our blog! It’s been a long time since the last major Total Software Deployment update. But today we certainly have a big one! Since the release of the very first version, we knew that TSD would eventually gain this feature, and numerous feedbacks have confirmed that it’s essential.
As you may have guessed, today’s update is dedicated to the new remote MSI uninstallation module. There’s no need for any more scripts or parameters. A few mouse clicks – and the unnecessary program will be correctly uninstalled on just one, a few or all network computers. The new functionality is very convenient and gives complete freedom of action!
- BIG FEATUREUninstallation of MSI packages.
- BIG FEATUREThe list of software installed on computers in the network storage.
- BIG FEATURENew technology for deploying MSI packages using the Silent method.
- NewSearch in the List of installed software. Allows to find any software on computers in the network storage.
- NewGroup of deployment and uninstallation settings.
- NewWhen the deployment is complete, you can now filter the results according to whether the deployment was successful, and then save the filtered deployment targets to a new list.
- NewOption to automatically save computers with deployment errors to a new list of deployment targets.
- NewOption to automatically rescan computers if the deployment was successful.
- ImprovedParameters for recording the Silent method for the MSI installer type were changed. The default command line was changed, and an information panel with recommendations was added.
- ImprovedBoth storages can now be searched using logical AND and OR operations (‘+’ and ‘,’ respectively).
- ImprovedMultiple selection in the network tree. It can now be used when working with computer properties, logins and the list of installed software.
- FixedErrors when adding computers with certain properties to the Deployment targets list.
- FixedErrors when halting deployment.
- FixedDeployment failure when the “Use network discovery” setting is off.
- + Many other fixes and improvements.
The full changelog can be found on the update screen in the program itself.
First off, we want to highlight the new Uninstall tab. Now nothing prevents you from removing programs from network computers as easily as installing them! Select one or more computers in the tree, and you’ll see a complete list of software installed on them. Using search, you can quickly find the necessary (or rather, unnecessary) programs in the list. What remains is to put them on the uninstall task list and press one button:
It’s worth noting that you don’t need its MSI package in order to uninstall a program. It’s enough to just to scan the computer and select the soon-to-be-uninstalled software from the list. Simple and easy. In the future updates, we plan to expand the list of supported installer types.
Another important feature of this update is the new MSI package deployment engine. This improvement will greatly improve the likelihood of successful deployment when using the Silent method. You will also have an opportunity to analyze any errors that may occur in detail. And most notably, now you don’t need to worry about the installation context. TSD works correctly with packages configured to be installed either per-user or per-machine.
If you go to program options in TSD 2, you will find new sections dealing with Deployment and Uninstallation. Now TSD can automatically rescan the computers where deployment was completed successfully. And as for those computers where errors have occurred during the deployment, TSD can automatically save them to a separate list of deployment targets. This will allow you to easily attempt deployment again after having identified and removed the cause of these errors. Also, on the deployment panel, we added buttons allowing to manually filter and save such lists:
In addition, several aspects of the network tree were improved to allow for better usability: the search engine, the filters, and the way the computers are displayed and selected. And these are only some of the improvements that you will encounter!
We love sharing good news with you, but it’ll be much better if you check out all the new Total Software Deployment features in action! You can download the update either by following this link or in the program itself, by clicking Help – Check for updates. Until next time!
P.S.: don’t forget to keep checking for updates to Total Network Inventory. As we’ve already mentioned, it will bring improvements to the AD synchronization feature.