Greetings to everyone who reads the Softinventive blog and wishes to receive first-hand information about our software’s new features!
Today, the Total Network Inventory team introduces a major update, TNI version 3.5.0. This update significantly expands the functionality concerning ESXi virtual servers. And as you can see, much has been reworked and improved:
- NewObtaining information about services on the ESXi server.
- NewObtaining firewall information from the ESXi server (ESXi version 5+).
- NewObtaining software information from the ESXi server (ESXi version 6.5+).
- NewObtaining information about licenses from the ESXi server.
- NewGrouping ESXi server devices by PCI class.
- NewObtaining information about the ESXi server’s serial number.
- NewESXi agent version that was used to perfrom the scan can be displayed in a report.
- NewObtaining information about the manufacturer, model and serial number of routers when scanning via SNMP.
- ImprovedESXi server scan engine reworked.
- ImprovedAsset pinger operation.
- ImprovedSystem error logging engine.
- FixedObtaining information about the Network File System type on the ESXi server.
- FixedObtaining information about ESXi server’s processors.
- FixedObtaining and updating the Hostname field when scanning the ESXi server.
- FixedObtaining information about the size of repositories on the ESXi server.
- FixedMethods of using the PingerLib and ADLib libraries changed.
- FixedPinging methodology when changing the “Handling of dynamic IP addresses” setting.
- FixedDisplay of information about unscanned assets.
- FixedUpdating of ESXi server hostnames after rescanning.
- + Many small improvements in ESXi and SNMP scanners.
Let’s review in a bit more detail.
The data collection and analysis engine has been redesigned and substantially improved as a result. TNI 3.5.0 is fully compatible with the latest versions of ESXi server. ESXi 4, 5, 6, 6.5 are officially supported. The collected dataset was also heavily expanded: now you can get information about the installed hardware and software, firewall, services, serial number, ESXi licenses and other miscellanea that will give you a complete picture of the scanned ESXi server.
We have thoroughly tested all kinds of configurations and can say with confidence that the chance of obtaining the information from an ESXi server is now almost 100%!
We would also like to mention another important change, namely the SNMP scanner upgrade. Now the information about the manufacturer, model and serial number of most devices can be collected without the need to enable the full SNMP scan in the program settings.
And so I bring this blog post to a close.
Until the next one!
Dear readers, are you ready for Friday? July is coming to a close, and that means it’s almost time to celebrate System Administrator Day! The holiday is on July the 28th.
We’d like to sincerely congratulate all admins on this wonderful day! You are the true heroes, quietly preserving the peace and order in corporate networks. May the force be with you!
We highly value what you do and hope that our products make your work a bit more pleasant. Therefore, once again, we are lowering the prices for all our licenses until August 11:
The discount is applied automatically when you order from our site.
And what is a holiday without gifts?! Starting today (June 26) and during the next 7 days, we’ll be handing out Total Software Deployment 2 licenses for 25 devices to anyone interested.
To receive your license, send us an email!
Offer ended on August 11
TSD 25 node license
FREE until August 1
Hello to all!
The latest update for Total Network Inventory 3 is out. As we promised, it’s the reworked Active Directory synchronization module. The synchronization process becomes more convenient and informative, and more tweaks can be made.
As usual, before diving into details, we offer you the full list of changes and improvements:
- NewAbility to synchronize computers and users with a different domain.
- NewAuto-picking passwords for logging into the domain during AD sync.
- NewA window with preliminary results allowing to view and control the synchronization (when launching manually).
- NewSynchronization results are logged to a text file.
- NewAbility to schedule synchronization with AD.
- ImprovedAD synchronization algorithm.
- ImprovedSynchronization settings were optimized.
- ImprovedCorrect handling of renamed devices during synchronization.
- ImprovedDetection of the current and root domains at startup.
- ImprovedThe process of automatic synchronization at startup and on a schedule is invisible to the user.
- + Some other fixes and improvements.
Auto-sync on a schedule
As you probably know, synchronization with AD could only be initiated manually or when the program itself is started. Yes, we agree with you that this is sometimes not enough. And that’s why a new method was added: automatic synchronization on a schedule. Simply set up the Scheduler, and the program will synchronize with AD exactly when it suits you!
We’d like to point out that synchronization at startup will be disabled after you update. But worry not, you can either enable this setting again, or switch to only using the Scheduler.
Preliminary synchronization results
New capabilities will be available when you start the synchronization manually. You’ll be able to preview the changes as shown here:
In this window, you can browse the proposed changes and choose what elements should be updated. Don’t want to move devices? Uncheck it. Want to update information for specific computers? Select only those. Synchronize users only? Easy. All done quickly and conveniently.
Another new helpful feature is trying different logins for AD. If TNI fails to start the synchronization using the current user’s credentials, the program will automatically try to find the correct login from among those listed on the Edit – All logins tab.
Also, all synchronization operations will from now on be logged to adsync.log which is located in the following folder: C:\ProgramData\Total Network Inventory 3
And another thing we ought to highlight: now it’s possible to synchronize with a domain that the current computer does not belong to.
Update your TNI and enjoy the new features. See you next time!