Hello to all! We’ve put a lot of time and effort into improving the scanning mechanism, the Windows agent and many other program components. This time we’ve also paid special attention to improvements requested by our users.
Please bid welcome to version 3.6.0!
The TNI scanner underwent an in-depth tuning and refinement. We’ve completely rewritten the internal scanning mechanism: increased the stability of the whole process, expanded the network discovery mechanisms and significantly raised the scanning speed for medium and large networks. How events in the scanner are logged and how it interacts with Active Directory have been improved as well, with many other positive changes that will speed up the scanning process and make it more thorough and reliable.
Scheduled scans will no longer be delayed because the scanner is busy with the previous task. They will start in the background exactly when you’ve planned!
Enhanced Windows agent
We’ve added more features to the Windows agent. Yes, we mean tniwinagent.exe that’s used when scanning remote computers from the Scanner tab and can also be run manually to scan the computer. You may also be using this file as an automated resident agent. So what we’ve done for this new agent version is updated its own scanner, added more fields to be collected and improved the interaction with the SMB protocol. Lastly, now it supports the new FTP/FTPS and SFTP/SCP protocols. All this was done to obtain as complete and reliable information about Windows systems as possible.
You asked, we delivered
In each update we try to pay special attention to fixes and improvements based on your feedback and requests. In Total Network Inventory 3.6.0, these changes have affected many parts of the program: interface, reports, temporary files, compatibility with Total Software Deployment, other elements have been corrected and improved thanks to you! In addition, we’ve finally solved a number of issues that may arise when corrupted files are present in the storage and, by optimizing internal processes, heavily improved the stability of the application as a whole.
After these changes, TNI becomes considerably faster and even more stable.
Here is the full list of changes:
- NewSilent installation/uninstallation mode in the resident agent.
- NewAbility to update the resident agent via FTP/FTPS and SFTP/SCP, as well as via SMB with authorization.
- NewSupport for file sending via SFTP/SCP after the resident agent performs a scan.
- NewCollection of information from the SystemSKUNumber field.
- New“Device name” field when exporting the Change log contents in the CSV format.
- NewTelnet and ESXi agent versions displayed on the About screen.
- ImprovedInternal scanning engine was totally reworked, resulting in better scanning stability and increased reliability of network device discovery.
- ImprovedScan scheduler now runs in the background, independently of the Scanner tab.
- ImprovedAuxiliary modules for working with SSH and SSL/TLS were integrated into the Windows agent.
- ImprovedSending files via FTP by the resident agent: TLS is always used if supported by the server (explicit mode), and for the implicit mode, specify “ftps: //” in the URL (also applies to updating via FTP).
- ImprovedAbility to create screenshots when scanning various types of devices that have a web interface.
- ImprovedInformation refresh when filtering the network tree.
- ImprovedDevice type selection lists now have a common look.
- ImprovedСompatibility with the network storage in TSD. Also more information is now collected for the software uninstallation module.
- ImprovedScanner operation logging system was expanded.
- FixedObtaining information about Windows Firewall and Windows Updates.
- FixedChecking for files when the resident agent is auto-updating.
- FixedProgram operation when the temporary folder is not found.
- FixedMissing option to delete logins in Edit – Logins.
- FixedProgram doesn’t restart after it’s closed when the license key is submitted.
- FixedRounding of the prices in custom fields.
- FixedUndefined device status after scanning.
- FixedRendering issues when deleting scan tasks.
- FixedIncorrect rendering of the storage selection window on the Windows classic theme.
- FixedPCI devices with the 0xFF class not being detected when scanning ESXi systems.
- FixedCertain unexpected program shutdowns, as well as the issues when working with corrupted files in the storage, were corrected. Overall stability of the program was increased.
PS: Our team is now working on creating a network map feature and improving the scanning of SNMP devices. Stay tuned for more updates!
Greetings to everyone who reads the Softinventive blog and wishes to receive first-hand information about our software’s new features!
Today, the Total Network Inventory team introduces a major update, TNI version 3.5.0. This update significantly expands the functionality concerning ESXi virtual servers. And as you can see, much has been reworked and improved:
- NewObtaining information about services on the ESXi server.
- NewObtaining firewall information from the ESXi server (ESXi version 5+).
- NewObtaining software information from the ESXi server (ESXi version 6.5+).
- NewObtaining information about licenses from the ESXi server.
- NewGrouping ESXi server devices by PCI class.
- NewObtaining information about the ESXi server’s serial number.
- NewESXi agent version that was used to perfrom the scan can be displayed in a report.
- NewObtaining information about the manufacturer, model and serial number of routers when scanning via SNMP.
- ImprovedESXi server scan engine reworked.
- ImprovedAsset pinger operation.
- ImprovedSystem error logging engine.
- FixedObtaining information about the Network File System type on the ESXi server.
- FixedObtaining information about ESXi server’s processors.
- FixedObtaining and updating the Hostname field when scanning the ESXi server.
- FixedObtaining information about the size of repositories on the ESXi server.
- FixedMethods of using the PingerLib and ADLib libraries changed.
- FixedPinging methodology when changing the “Handling of dynamic IP addresses” setting.
- FixedDisplay of information about unscanned assets.
- FixedUpdating of ESXi server hostnames after rescanning.
- + Many small improvements in ESXi and SNMP scanners.
Let’s review in a bit more detail.
The data collection and analysis engine has been redesigned and substantially improved as a result. TNI 3.5.0 is fully compatible with the latest versions of ESXi server. ESXi 4, 5, 6, 6.5 are officially supported. The collected dataset was also heavily expanded: now you can get information about the installed hardware and software, firewall, services, serial number, ESXi licenses and other miscellanea that will give you a complete picture of the scanned ESXi server.
We have thoroughly tested all kinds of configurations and can say with confidence that the chance of obtaining the information from an ESXi server is now almost 100%!
We would also like to mention another important change, namely the SNMP scanner upgrade. Now the information about the manufacturer, model and serial number of most devices can be collected without the need to enable the full SNMP scan in the program settings.
And so I bring this blog post to a close.
Until the next one!
Dear readers, are you ready for Friday? July is coming to a close, and that means it’s almost time to celebrate System Administrator Day! The holiday is on July the 28th.
We’d like to sincerely congratulate all admins on this wonderful day! You are the true heroes, quietly preserving the peace and order in corporate networks. May the force be with you!
We highly value what you do and hope that our products make your work a bit more pleasant. Therefore, once again, we are lowering the prices for all our licenses until August 11:
The discount is applied automatically when you order from our site.
And what is a holiday without gifts?! Starting today (June 26) and during the next 7 days, we’ll be handing out Total Software Deployment 2 licenses for 25 devices to anyone interested.
To receive your license, send us an email!
Offer ended on August 11
TSD 25 node license
FREE until August 1