• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gposey

gposey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:29 AM

I've successfully installed TNM, setup monitors and managed to really build the tool out to be a very good monitor of my enterprise.

Where I am having an issue here is that I want TNM to run as a service. It was running as a service and working fine for some time. Now, when I run it as a service, it does the initial scan of my monitors but will not scan after initial launch of the service. I've verified that all options that need to be unchecked in the options are, indeed, unchecked and everything is configured according to the help file.

If I run TNM from the shortcut, I can test the monitors and notifications without any problems. I get emails delivered when I check the 'test' on the actions. Everything works as it should as long as I am not using it as a service. When I use it as a service it doesn't update the log after the initial scan which leads me to believe something has gotten messed up in the config.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Gabe

#2 gposey

gposey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:04 AM

I've successfully installed TNM, setup monitors and managed to really build the tool out to be a very good monitor of my enterprise.

Where I am having an issue here is that I want TNM to run as a service. It was running as a service and working fine for some time. Now, when I run it as a service, it does the initial scan of my monitors but will not scan after initial launch of the service. I've verified that all options that need to be unchecked in the options are, indeed, unchecked and everything is configured according to the help file.

If I run TNM from the shortcut, I can test the monitors and notifications without any problems. I get emails delivered when I check the 'test' on the actions. Everything works as it should as long as I am not using it as a service. When I use it as a service it doesn't update the log after the initial scan which leads me to believe something has gotten messed up in the config.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Gabe

I've narrowed it down, to a degree. The program, even the actual executable, fails to launch about 2 out of every 3 times launched. It shows the process running in the background but the process isn't actually doing anything. The service is launching the same way and failing two out of three times. I set up a way to monitor whether the service is working by setting one of the ping monitors to dump to a separate log once a minute. I know the service is actually working properly if that log begins to fill and maintains. It's still not as stable as I'd like, but I am working to squeeze blood from the turnip here.

#3 Zak

Zak

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:35 AM

There are some stability issues with TNM. Sometimes it won't close (the process is left in memory), then you won't be able to run another copy. On some systems it's very stable, and on some not. Probably some Windows updates changed the system behaviour so that it began to show instability. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do here, as these errors are almost impossible to catch and would require complete rewriting of the application.
Softinventive Lab support

#4 gposey

gposey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:29 AM

There are some stability issues with TNM. Sometimes it won't close (the process is left in memory), then you won't be able to run another copy. On some systems it's very stable, and on some not. Probably some Windows updates changed the system behaviour so that it began to show instability. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do here, as these errors are almost impossible to catch and would require complete rewriting of the application.

I devised a way to check the status. I created a monitor that pings the server itself, every minute, and then writes that status to a text file. So that way I have a simple running log that lets me know TNM is running like it should be.

I've monitored the way it starts and have observed that it fails by beginning the process and then hanging once it loads ~17mb of TNM into memory with no processor usage. When it starts successfully, it loads upwards of 21mb into memory and the processor usage ramps up after the start as it executes all the monitors. Right now, my manual workaround with a text file is helping. At least I know, for sure, that it's running the service properly when it is. Ideally I would love to be able to monitor the service process without loading another instance of the GUI. Even if it was just a matter of making the GUI load using the tnmservice process, that would be great.

#5 Zak

Zak

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:59 AM

I devised a way to check the status. I created a monitor that pings the server itself, every minute, and then writes that status to a text file. So that way I have a simple running log that lets me know TNM is running like it should be.

Yes, I've understood that from your previous post. That's a nice workaround.

Ideally I would love to be able to monitor the service process without loading another instance of the GUI.

You should have noticed that the service is the same executable as GUI is. This is not a dedicated service. It's the window app run as a service with GUI hidden and was made as a quick solution to multiple requests to run the program as a service. So running another instance of GUI should not be possible (as it allows only one copy running), or harmful if possible. Besides, it's not necessary for the monitoring via text log described above.

Even if it was just a matter of making the GUI load using the tnmservice process, that would be great.

That would require rewriting the application in client-server architecture, which is not the case right now.

#6 droseberry

droseberry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:36 AM

I have a quick question on a service state check. There are 4 options for "Monitor goes Green/Red if service is:" Running, Paused, Stopped, Other state. Does "Other state" mean anything other then "Running"? I want an email sent to me if the service is anything other then "Running", would I select the "Other state" or is that just for anything other then Running, Paused, or Stopped? Please let me know if you need more clarification.

Thank you

#7 Zak

Zak

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:00 AM

There are 7 service states in general, 3 constant states (Running, Paused, Stopped) and 4 transitional states (Pause Pending, Continue Pending, Stop Pending, Start Pending). "Other state" refers to those 4 transitional states only, i.e. any other than Running/Paused/Stopped.
For your case, set the monitor to be green when the service is "Running", and set the email action to be executed when the monitor goes red (that would mean any other state than "Running").

#8 droseberry

droseberry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:08 AM

Thanks for the response. I just wanted to be clear, and I guess I could set up a test box and see. The probe should be "Monitor goes: GREEN if service is "Running" and the actions should be send email when red. So if the Monitor is anything but running it will be red and send an email that it is red?

Thanks

#9 Zak

Zak

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:26 AM

Yes, exactly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users